With the exception of our Pre-Kindergarten English and Chinese immersion programmes, our Kindergarten to Primary Chinese-English bilingual programme, and our French-English bilingual programme, our academic programme is primarily delivered in English. We also support students whose first language is not English through our English Language Learner programme, and to develop skills in their mother tongue wherever possible.
Daily language lessons start in Junior Kindergarten, and students are placed in classes according to their linguistic ability and are taught by highly experienced language teachers. As students move into Secondary School and Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme (DP), language classes may be scheduled in double period blocks (learning will equal five periods per week), which allows for a more focused approach to academic content.
Language pathways at CIS
||Language and Literature or Literature 7
||Language Acquisition: SL/HL/Ab initio Chinese, French, Spanish, English 8
||School Supported Self Taught Language 7
||After School Language Programme 9
||MYP Language and Literature English or Chinese 5
||Language Acquisition: Chinese, French or Spanish 6|
||Chinese-English bilingual programme / French-English bilingual programme 3
||Language Acquisition: Chinese, French or Spanish 4
|Junior & Senior Kindergarten
||Chinese-English bilingual programme 2
||Language Acquisition: Chinese or French
|Pre - Kindergarten
||English or Chinese Immersion 1
- Morning homeroom classes are conducted entirely in either English or Chinese.
- Equal exposure to both languages and fully aligned with the PYP. Entry requirements apply and classes are subject to enrolment.
- French-English bilingual is offered in grades 1 and 2 of the Lakeside campus only from August 2018. Grade 3 will commence in August 2019, however, is subject to enrolment.
- Spanish is offered at Lakeside Campus only. Classes are subject to enrolment.
- Chinese classes are subject to enrolment.
- Spanish is offered in grades 7 to 9 at the beginner level. Grade 10 begins in August 2018.
- Language & Literature classes are offered in English, Chinese, Japanese and French, while Literature is only offered in English. Students in grade 11 and 12 can also choose one of over 55 IB approved self-taught languages. Students are supported by a CIS teacher / tutor in their study towards their Language A course, and a bilingual IB Diploma.
- IBDP languages are offered based on demand.
- A wide range of languages are on offer to students of varying proficiency levels. Classes incur an additional fee and taught by external providers. Our admissions team can provide further details on what is on offer.