Supply Instructional Assistant
JOB DESCRIPTION: Instructional Assistant - Classroom, ELL, Learning Support, Language Acquisition and Chinese Language (Daily Rated)
Reports To: Divisional Principal
Main Working Relationships: Teachers and students
As a CIS Instructional Assistant you are part of a team of educators working together to provide the best learning environment for our students
As such, it is important for you to maintain:
- Open lines of communication with your teacher, administrator, support staff and fellow instructional assistants
- Confidentiality and privacy of information related to students and the workplace
- Flexibility – on occasion you may be called upon to perform duties outside the specific scope of your job description
- A willingness to involve yourself in school activities such as staff meetings, social functions and other school activities
- Professional conduct as a representative of our school community
- Children are our first priority.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Post secondary education and or certification in an education-related field
- Prior experience working in an educational setting preferred
- Assist and guide students by demonstrating appropriate support, patience, kindness and caring
- Develop students’ self-esteem and positive self-concept.
- Supervise, observe and encourage positive student behavior in a developmentally appropriate way, and in keeping with the values of our school
- Model the CIS values of Excellence, Respect, Collaboration, Creativity, Curiosity, and Generosity
- Abide by the dress code of the school
- Attend professional learning and training sessions when required by the school
Specific Classroom Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and direction of the classroom teacher provide instructional support to individuals and small groups of students.
- Assist in implementing instructional plans and provide support and supervision while the teacher is engaged with others
- Assist in monitoring student progress towards set learning goals and provide feedback, guidance and reinforce taught concepts where necessary
- Help students compile portfolios in either digital or other formats
- Dialogue with the teacher regarding student academic progress and behaviour
- Confer with the teacher when necessary regarding student needs
- Alert the teacher to any specific student concerns as they arise.
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of learning materials
- Help keep track of classroom supplies that need to be ordered
- Keep the classroom neat and orderly
- Assist with displays of student work
- Assist with classroom routines such as the collection of money or permission slips and keep accurate records of those transactions
- Assist the teacher in tracking and maintaining accurate records of communication between the teacher and home
- Safeguard the health, safety and well-being of students at all times
- Render basic first aid as and when necessary
- Assist students with matters of personal hygiene
- Meet school buses and participate in supervision as required
- Supervise students during field trips and at school assemblies
- Support student use of library material
- Assist with lunch duties as needed
- Attend meetings as required.
- Other duties assigned by the classroom teacher, school administrators or the school
- All CIS staff are required to maintain confidentiality regarding students’ progress and needs and personal information.
- Instructional assistants are not permitted to discuss a child’s academic/social development with parents directly. Any direct communication with parents must be carried out by the teacher.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Positive communication skills.
- Capacity to work collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Complete CIS Child Protection Training.
- $100 per day
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their cover letter (one page), together with their resume highlighting relevant experience and qualifications to the Head of Human Resources. We want the best to join our team, so please ensure that your cover letter is original and tell us how you are a good fit to CIS. You are to include two referee contact details and any offers made shall be subject to satisfactory references.
We appreciate all applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our institution is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds and identities.