Library technician - chinese specialist (curriculum)Posted 05/04/2021 04:02PM
Library technician - chinese specialist (curriculum)
The Canadian International School is looking for a full time Library Technician - Chinese Specialist (curriculum) for its Lakeside campus. This role's core responsibility is to support reading and learning, with a focus on the Chinese language programs, under the direction of the Teacher Librarians and the Library Supervisor.
With a focus on the Chinese Classes and Community:
- Support reading and learning, with a focus on the Chinese language programs, under the direction of the Teacher Librarians and the Library Supervisor.
- Deliver engaging read-aloud sessions in Chinese and facilitate teacher librarian’s delivery of lessons during library classes.
- Assist Library Supervisor and Teacher Librarians and work as part of the Library team to ensure efficient operation of the library.
- Assist patrons, to our standard of excellence, with directional questions, ready reference questions, reader advisory, bibliographic instruction, database searching and other library tools or refer patrons to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to tactfully, and in accordance with CIS principles, supervise and manage student and parent behaviour, and refer students to Teacher Librarian as needed.
- Maintain catalogue for the Library Collection
- Prepare resources at the request of teaching faculty, suggest other suitable resources and check out items.
- Process new materials efficiently to ensure they are on the shelves as quickly as possible.
- Creating online resource guides to support the Chinese curriculum.
- Daily processing and circulation of collection to the students/patrons.
- Proficiently shelve library materials and read shelves according to the standards in the Library.
- Liaise with other campus library for interlibrary loans.
- Run reports for circulation to inform teachers of overdue materials.
- Efficient and competent weekly patron account management including follow-up of overdue/damaged/lost books and leaving and joining students/staff.
- Withdraw, repair, or recondition library materials.
- Tidy the library on an on-going basis and at the end of the day. Proactively involve Housekeeping and Maintenance as necessary.
- Maintain clear and accurate shelf signage to assist patrons in locating materials.
- Participate in Annual Inventory on all campuses.
- Create aesthetically pleasing promotional materials and displays to support Library programs, including Chinese programs.
- Perform other related work as required.
Required qualifications and experience
- Excellent knowledge of English and Chinese speaking, reading and writing.
- Expert knowledge of the Follett Destiny library catalogue , databases and other library resources (including but not limited to Epic!, TumbleBooks,, eBooks, online audio books).
- Knowledge of Google Suite and other school-wide systems.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to learn new systems, software applications and technology such as LibGuides. in order to create online resources and to promote physical resources.
- Strong understanding of the International Baccalaureate (IB) programmes, POI timelines and understanding IB elements including Concepts, Units Of Inquiry, Central Ideas and Learner Profile.
- Ability to operate library equipment properly.
- Working knowledge of Dewey Decimal Cataloguing system, alphabetising, genrefication use of graphic or design software such as Pages to create promotional and display material under guidance of the Librarian.
- Willingness to maintain and expand the above mentioned skills and knowledge in above mentioned areas through active participation in library professional development.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, and stooping.
- Bending/twisting and reaching.
- Lifting and carrying: 50 pounds or less.
- Manual dexterity/strength: processing (repetitive application of labels/stamps etc), picking up and shelving and books.
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels.
- Communication skills: approachable, patient, collaborative and can effectively communicate both in written and oral form.
- Affinity for working with children, adolescents, teachers, parents and all stakeholders within the community.
- Affinity for reading,literature and a willingness to read and review print materials available.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritise tasks, be proactive and put customer service and student learning first.
- Team player who is flexible and willing to support colleagues in a positive manner.
- Accept and act upon constructive feedback in a timely and respectful manner.
- Resourceful with willingness to take initiative to solve challenges.
- Cultural and linguistic sensitivity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further.