Library Technician (Chinese Specialist)
CIS job description.
Library Technician - Chinese Specialist (curriculum)
Division / Department
Head of Libraries, Teacher Librarian, Supervisor
Works collaboratively with
Library Technician & Library Assistant(s)
Assigns task to / supervises
Key accountability and responsibilities:
With a focus on the Chinese Classes and Community:
- Support reading and learning, with a focus on the Chinese language programs, under the direction of the Teacher Librarians and the Library Supervisor.
- Deliver engaging read-aloud sessions in Chinese and facilitate teacher librarian’s delivery of lessons during library classes.
- Creating and update online resource guides including the LibGuide to support the Chinese curriculum.
- Assist Teacher Librarians in weeding and maintaing the Chinese collection.
- Assist Teacher Librarian in liaising with resource suppliers.
- Assist Teacher Librarian in ordering Chinese resources.
- Assist Library Supervisor and Teacher Librarians and work as part of the Library team to ensure efficient operation of the library.
- Assist patrons, to our standard of excellence, with directional questions, ready reference questions, reader advisory, bibliographic instruction, database searching and other library tools or refer patrons to appropriate personnel.
- Ability to tactfully and in accordance with CIS principles, supervise and manage student and parent behaviour, and refer students to Teacher Librarian as needed.
- Maintain catalogue for the Library Collection
- Prepare resources at the request of teaching faculty, suggest other suitable resources and check out items.
- Process new materials efficiently to ensure they are on the shelves as quickly as possible.
- Daily processing and circulation of collection to the students/patrons.
- Proficiently shelve library materials and read shelves according to the standards in the Library.
- Run reports for circulation to inform teachers of overdue materials.
- Efficient and competent weekly patron account management including follow-up of overdue/damaged/lost books and leaving and joining students/staff.
- Withdraw, repair, or recondition library materials.
- Tidy the library on on-going basis and at the end of the day. Proactively involve Housekeeping and Maintenance as necessary.
- Maintain clear and accurate shelf signage to assist patrons in locating materials.
- Participate in Annual Inventory on all campuses.
- Create aesthetically pleasing promotional materials and displays to support Library program, including Chinese program.
- Perform other related work as required.
\Knowledge and Ability Requirements:
- Excellent knowledge of English and Chinese speaking, reading and writing.
- Expert knowledge of the Follett Destiny library catalogue , databases and other library resources (including but not limited to Epic!, TumbleBooks, eBooks, online audiobooks).
- Knowledge of Google Suite and other school-wide systems.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to learn, new systems, software applications and technology such as LibGuides. in order to create online resources and to promote physical resources.
- Strong understanding of the International Baccalaureate (IB) programmes, POI timelines and understanding IB elements including Concepts, Units Of Inquiry, Central Ideas and Learner Profile.
- Ability to operate library equipment properly.
- Working knowledge of Dewey Decimal Cataloguing system, alphabetising, genrefication use of graphic or design software such as Pages to create promotional and display material under guidance of the Librarian. Willingness to maintain and expand the above mentioned skills and knowledge in above mentioned areas through active participation in library professional development.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, and stooping.
- Bending/twisting and reaching.
- Lifting and carrying: 50 pounds or less.
- Manual dexterity/strength: processing (repetitive application of labels/stamps etc), picking up and shelving and books.
- Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels.
- Communication skills: approachable, patient, collaborative and can effectively communicate both in written and oral form.
- Affinity for working with children, adolescents, teachers, parents and all stakeholders within the community.
- Affinity for reading, literature and a willingness to read and review print materials available.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritise tasks, be proactive and put customer service and student learning first.
- Team player who is flexible and willing to support colleagues in a positive manner.
- Accept and act upon constructive feedback in a timely and respectful manner.
- Resourceful with willingness to take initiative to solve challenges.
- Cultural and linguistic sensitivity.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Library experience.
- Classroom experience with children.
- Keyboarding and general office experience.
- Capability in Google Suite applications.
- Able and willing to learn new programming and other software with ease.