CIS JOB DESCRIPTION
Specialised Instructional Assistant
Early Years, Primary, Secondary
Varied depending on assignment
Works collaboratively with
Teachers and students, programme coordinators
Assigns task to / supervises
KEY ACCOUNTABILITY (Main purpose of this job):
The Specialised Instructional Assistant, is part of a team of educators working together to provide instructional support for students. As such, the Specialised Instructional Assistant:
- Supports multiple teachers and students within a grade or across multiple grades
- Maintains open lines of communication with teachers, administrators, operational staff and other instructional assistants
- Confidentiality and privacy of information related to students and the workplace
- Flexibility – on occasion the IA may be called upon to perform duties outside the specific scope of this job description
- A willingness to get involved in school activities such as staff meetings, social functions and other school activities
- Must not spend more than 20% of their time involved in administrative work.
RESPONSIBILITIES (Key areas of responsibility):
- Supports multiple teachers and students within a grade or across multiple grades using specialized skill sets.
- Assist and guides students by demonstrating appropriate support, patience, kindness and caring
- Develop students’ self-esteem and positive self-concept.
- Supervise, observe and encourage positive student behavior in a developmentally appropriate way, and in keeping with the values of our school
- Model the CIS values of Excellence, Respect, Collaboration, Creativity, Curiosity, and Generosity
- Abide by the dress code of the school
- Attend professional learning and training sessions when required by the school
Specific Classroom Responsibilities
- Provide support specific individual supports for students (e.g maths, literacy, and ELL interventions, PE, Arts)
- Plan and facilitate small group instruction
- Participate in training to support interventions and strategies for small group learning and intervention
- Design and implement intervention schedule to support students’ diverse learning needs in the grade level(s) or classroom(s) assigned to
- Assist in monitoring student progress towards set learning goals and provide feedback, guidance and reinforce taught concepts where necessary
- Help students compile portfolios in either digital or other formats
- Help set up classroom spaces for learning
- Dialogue with the teacher regarding student academic progress and behaviour
- Confer with the teacher when necessary regarding student needs
- Alert the teacher to any specific student concerns as they arise
- Assist the teacher in tracking student progress over time
- Safeguard the health, safety and well-being of students at all times
- Participate in supervision as required
- Assist with lunch duties as needed
- Attend meetings as required
- Other duties assigned by the classroom teacher, school administrators or the school
- All CIS staff are required to maintain confidentiality regarding students’ progress and needs and personal information.
- Instructional assistants are not permitted to discuss a child’s academic/social development with parents directly. Any direct communication with parents must be carried out by the teacher.
REQUIREMENTS & EXPERIENCE:
- Post secondary education and or certification in an education-related field
- Prior experience working in an educational setting preferred
- Culturally competent and able to work with culturally diverse staff and students in a bilingual and multilingual setting.
- An effective communicator
- Motivated, and energetic
- Results oriented and has a strong sense of accountability for student success