French Instructional Assistant for Lakeside Primary SchoolPosted 20/05/2021 11:33AM
Instructional Assistant - Classroom, ELL, Resource, Language Acquisition and Chinese
- Starting August 2.21
- One year contract
Language Reports To:
Main Working Relationships:
Teachers and students
As a CIS Instructional Assistant you are part of a team of educators working together to provide the best learning environment for our students
As such, it is important for you to maintain:
- Open lines of communication with your teacher, administrator, support staff and fellow instructional assistants
- Confidentiality and privacy of information related to students and the workplace
- Flexibility – on occasion you may be called upon to perform duties outside the specific scope of your job description
- A willingness to involve yourself in school activities such as staff meetings, social functions and other school activities
- Professional conduct as a representative of our school community Children are our first priority.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Post secondary education and or certification in an education-related field
- Prior experience working in an educational setting preferred
- Assist and guide students by demonstrating appropriate support, patience, kindness and caring
- Develop students’ self-esteem and positive self-concept.
- Supervise, observe and encourage positive student behavior in a developmentally appropriate way, and in keeping with the values of our school
- Model the CIS values of Excellence, Respect, Collaboration, Creativity, Curiosity, and Generosity
- Abide by the dress code of the school
- Attend professional learning and training sessions when required by the school
Specific Classroom Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and direction of the classroom teacher provide instructional support to individuals and small groups of students.
- Assist in implementing instructional plans and provide support and supervision while the teacher is engaged with others
- Assist in monitoring student progress towards set learning goals and provide feedback, guidance and reinforce taught concepts where necessary
- Help students compile portfolios in either digital or other formats
- Dialogue with the teacher regarding student academic progress and behaviour
- Confer with the teacher when necessary regarding student needs
- Alert the teacher to any specific student concerns as they arise.
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of learning materials
- Help keep track of classroom supplies that need to be ordered
- Keep the classroom neat and orderly
- Assist with displays of student work
- Assist with classroom routines such as the collection of money or permission slips and keep accurate records of those transactions
- Assist the teacher in tracking and maintaining accurate records of communication between the teacher and home
- Safeguard the health, safety and well-being of students at all times
- Render basic first aid as and when necessary
- Assist students with matters of personal hygiene
- Meet school buses and participate in supervision as required
- Supervise students during field trips and at school assemblies
- Support student use of library material
- Assist with lunch duties as needed
- Attend meetings as required.
- Other duties assigned by the classroom teacher, school administrators or the school
- All CIS staff are required to maintain confidentiality regarding students’ progress and needs and personal information.
- Instructional assistants are not permitted to discuss a child’s academic/social development with parents directly. Any direct communication with parents must be carried out by the teacher.