Students are expected to attend school at all times unless excused by their parents or guardians.
Procedures / Guidelines
Parents are expected to contact the Main Office or the Homeroom Teacher if a Student has reason to be absent from school.
Students who wish to leave school during school hours must obtain a sign-out slip from the office. Permission will only be granted with a parent note or a teacher’s approval. The sign-out slip must be shown to the guards.
Additional Middle and High School Procedures /Guidelines
Temporary Leave Form
Students obtain the temporary leave form from the office or downlod here if the leave from school is three days or longer.
The Student must complete the form and take it home for parents/guardians to sign.
The Student shows the signed form to the Advisor or Homeroom Teachers two days prior to departure.
- In all cases of lateness, a late slip must be obtained from the Main Office and presented to the classroom teacher.
- When a Student is late for the first time, the teacher will interview the Student.
- In cases of continued lateness, the parent/guardian and Grade Learning Lead will be informed.
- Continued inappropriate behaviour may result in the Student being withdrawn from school at the discretion of the Principal.
- Students who arrive late to class may forfeit the opportunity to write tests or to participate in other evaluation procedures at the discretion of the Teacher and Principal.
- On the first occasion, the Student will serve a detention with the teacher at the convenience of the teacher. The teacher will inform the Student’s parent/guardian and advisor.
- On the second infraction, the teacher will refer the Student to the Grade Level Learning Leader for an appropriate consequence and inform the Student’s Advisor. The parent will be contacted.
- On the third infraction, the parent or guardian will be requested to attend an interview and an attendance contract will be signed.
- Continued inappropriate behaviour may result in the expulsion of the Student. The final decision will be at the discretion of the Principal in Council with School Administration, teaching staff, health care providers, parents and the Student.
- The Principal or designate will inform the Head of Admissions, whose department oversees the application and cancellation of Student Passes, that a Student Pass should be revoked when a Student Pass holder:
- has failed to attend classes for a continuous period of 7 days without a valid reason, or
- has less than 90% attendance without a valid reason. This is equivalent to 9 days per semester.
- The Admissions Department will communicate with the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) in writing.
All other Students who fall below 90% attendance without a valid reason may be asked to withdraw from the school, at the recommendation of the Principal and upon approval of the Head of School.
Extension Of Holiday Periods
Extension of holiday periods is strongly discouraged and homework will not be provided. Most major school holidays will follow immediately after assessments and/or examination activities that must be completed as scheduled. Exceptions to this rule may be made in only the most unique of circumstances and will be granted upon the approval of the Principal or designate. Parents should consult the school calendar prior to making transportation arrangements.
Principal, Vice Principal or designate signs off the daily attendance after validations are made for all absences for the day.
International Students: Students on a Student Pass
Student Pass Application: CIS undertakes to use their best efforts to assist the Student if he/she requires a Student’s Pass from the ICA. This includes, without limitation, providing the Student with advice on obtaining such pass, verifying the Student’s enrolment and immigration status, and doing all such things as may be necessary to procure the Student’s Pass on behalf of the Student.
Student Pass Not Transferable: The Student’s Pass issued is not transferable and will expire upon the Student ceasing to be a Student of CIS. CIS is under an obligation to inform the ICA of the Student’s withdrawal from, or completion of his/her course of study at CIS, and the Student shall deliver to CIS, within seven (7) days of the Student ceasing to be a Student, a copy of the Student’s passport, Student’s Pass, the Student Identity Card and/or any other documentation as may be reasonably requested by CIS for cancellation.
Withdrawal from CIS: A Student who withdraws from CIS to enrol with another school shall be deemed to have withdrawn from CIS.
Student Pass E-Cancellation
Student Passes must be cancelled within seven (7) days of the date that a Student’s enrolment at CIS ceases. CIS is obliged to lodge an e-cancellation with the ICA (Immigration Checkpoints Authority) within seven (7) days of the Student’s final day at CIS.
In order for the School to be able to proceed with the e-cancellation and to ensure that all compulsory information is correct, parents must indicate in the Withdrawal Notice both the Student’s last day at CIS and the reason for withdrawal. The only option available for the necessary cancellation is to use the ICA online e-cancellation.
If you have queries about the cancellation process, please contact the Admissions Department.
Other Requirements: Students On A Student Pass
Student Pass Requirements as stated by the In Principle Approval letter from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA):
Applicant is required to note the following conditions:
- He/She is only permitted to attend the course at the school as stated in this In-Principle Approval letter;
- He/She shall attend the class regularly; and
- He/She shall surrender the Student’s Pass for cancellation within seven (7) days of the date of cessation or termination of studies.
- The school is required to inform this Office if:
- The applicant has failed to attend classes for a continuous period of seven (7) days or more without any valid reason; or
- The applicant has not attended classes regularly i.e. where the percentage of attendance is 90% or lower in any month of the course without any valid reason; or
- The applicant’s studies in the school have been terminated.
- If applicant has ceased studying in the school, the school is required to inform the applicant to surrender his/her Student’s Pass card and Disembarkation/Embarkation card for cancellation at this office within seven (7) days of cessation or termination of his/her studies.
- Failure to do any of the above (1) - (3) may affect the school’s future applications for a Student’s Pass and any other passes issued by this office.